Opinion Blog

Picture of Gary Dixon
Company in China controls women's right to have children
by Gary Dixon - Wednesday, 20 January 2016, 7:29 PM

14314956573_922cf31ef2_k.jpg

MFer Photography

Big news everyone! Do you remember that 30 year old Chinese law that says that families are only allowed to have one child? Well, that has been revoked. Families may now have two children. Wow!

However, a news article on the BBC news website tells us that women working at a company in the Chinese city of Changchun now need to “apply“ to have a child. These women have to get permission from the company one year before they plan to have a child (I can't tell if this means “get pregnant” or “give birth”. What do you think?)

The company says that the purpose of this initiative is to create a timetable so that their business does not suffer from a shortage of staff when too many people are on maternity leave at the same time.

This issue has been a cause of hot debates on China's major micro-blogging site (probably similar to twitter). Some bloggers say this will not really work to make things better for the company while others say it's a good practical move since this new change in the law.

Unfortunately, the company is not named. Why unfortunate? Well, I'd like to congratulate this company for presenting the idea that having a child should not be a God-given right. Rather, we need to somehow prove to society that we deserve this right to have a child.

I think it's generally a good idea to create a method of childbearing where we ask permission from our community so that the community can decide if your becoming a parent will be good for that particular group.

Do you agree or disagree with the above opinion? Tell us why.

What other views do you have regarding this issue? Please comment below. (Login Required)

Source: BBC News -  China: Company makes women 'apply' to have children - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-35233717

#opinionblog

#learnathome

#learnatwork

329 words

Picture of Jarosław Gurda
Re: Company in China controls women's right to have children
by Jarosław Gurda - Tuesday, 26 January 2016, 5:04 PM

I do not agree with the author's article opinion. In my opinion the company breaks the basic rules and human rights. I understand that all over the World companies try to optimize its resources but human beings mustn't be treated as cars or other devices belonging to a company. There is a huge problem to find an acceptable balance between work and family life. We need to work to earn money for life but if we lose our private life we will be also unhappy. In my opinion "application" for child to a boss destroys our private life. Why should we accept that somebody else know better what is good for me or bad? It looks for me as totalitarian system i.e. Nazism or Communism where people have to listen orders if not they were arrested or lost their jobs or life. We cannot accept such dangerous practice i.e. a method of childbearing, promoted by a Chinese company to control worker’s productivity.

167 words